Monday, February 11, 2013

Pickled Eggs

One of Em and myself's favorite snacks is a pickled egg or two with a beer - preferably a pilsner or kolsch. However, they are pretty tough to get unfortunately. Chuckanut Brewery has them for $1 an egg, which is a fine deal in my opinion but who wants to go out every time to get an egg? I tried my hand at pickling a dozen maybe a month ago and they missed the mark for me. They were down right tasty but the recipe I used had too much sugar in the brine and was just a bit too far on the sweet side for me. So yesterday, with beer in hand, I did a large batch of two dozen with a brine concoction of my own that I felt would be more in tune with our tastes. Riley and Co. are coming up to vist in a couple weeks so I thought it would be nice to have some eggs to go along with the homebrew.

 This is an experimental brine and I am crossing my fingers that it will work out. I simmered about 4 cups white vinegar with 2 cups of water, 5 garlic cloves, 4 jalapeƱos, a tablespoon of mustard seed, 1⁄2 cup of salt, and 1⁄3 cup of sugar. I covered the hardboiled eggs with this and dropped in half of a white onion and 3 dried chilis. And now we wait, we'll see!


No comments:

Post a Comment